The First Presbyterian Church of Bessemer, Alabama was established on April 10th, 1888 by action of the Presbytery of North Alabama, barely a year after the incorporation of the city of Bessemer. Nineteen persons were part of that brand new church.
Since then, four different church buildings have been home to this congregation. The first was a white frame building on Sixth Avenue and Eighteenth Street.
As the city grew, so did the church. In 1909 the congregation erected a beautiful, red brick Gothic style church building and relocated to Third Avenue and Eighteenth Street.
The third plant was a gradual replacement of the existing facilities. After demolition of a small part of the facility, an educational building was erected and completed in 1952. The remaining units of the plant, the Fellowship Hall and the Sanctuary were completed over the next few years and the dedication of the completed church was celebrated in June of 1962. A magnificent pipe organ was added and dedicated in 1987 and an adjacent parking lot was purchased in 1990.